By Stacy Jenel Smith
Last week, we brought you the Top 10 Hot Babes
of the upcoming summer movie season, so now it's only right that we turn our attention to Hot Hunks.There are some names you may be surprised to find missing from this list. You might think, for example, that "Robin Hood" would be a no-brainer, considering the men in tights who've graced the silver screen through the years -- from Errol Flynn to Kevin Costner with a side of Sean Connery. But Russell Crowe
as the latest Robin Hood is a doughy-bodied brute and the movie's more about gouging and impaling than dashing and romancing. What's merry about that, men? You want realism? Well, fine.
Leonardo DiCaprio is sexy, sure, but watching his "Inception," we'll be too worried about our minds being sucked into a vortex of terror and insanity to think of romance.
Justin Long bares all in "Going the Distance" with Christina Applegate and Drew Barrymore, his on and off-again girlfriend. Applegate has characterized the movie as "very dirty." Jeepers creepers, really? Alvin the chipmunk? The Apple guy? That's going to take some getting used to for fans used to his puppy-dog cute image. We'll wait and see on that.
Now, on to those who did make the list, in chronological order.
1. Common in "Just Wright." If you've seen the 38-year-old rapper-actor's Gap ads, photos with girlfriend Serena Williams, or the poster for "Just Wright," his new movie with Queen Latifah, you've seen those biceps. A good woman who doesn't happen to be supermodel slim winds up with a super attractive NBA star. Let the fantasy season begin!
2. Christopher Egan in "Letters to Juliet." Speaking of fantasies, suppose you're hooked up with Gael Garcia Bernal and he not only looks like he looks, he's a chef who cooks pasta for you, too. But yet, you're not satisfied, Amanda Seyfried. You have to go out on this crazy Italian adventure that involves an old lady (Vanessa Redgrave), her lost love and her hunky grandson -- Egan, the 25-year-old Aussie who's getting all kinds of attention.
3. Max Ryan in "Sex and the City 2." With all due respect to Big and Aidan (Chris Noth and John Corbett), it's Kim Cattrall's latest on-screen lust interest who has captured our attention. Debonair-looking 42-year-old British actor Ryan, with the close-cropped salt-and-pepper hair and beard, is familiar to fans of Jason Statham's "Death Race" and Jet Li's "Kiss of the Dragon" -- like any of those people will be coming to see "Sex and the City 2."
4. Jake Gyllenhaal in "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time." We just can't quit you, Jake Gyllenhaal, with those amazing blue-green eyes. Clearly, Gyllenhaal has worked out for his new sword 'n' sandals video game adaptation, since the 29-year-old matinee idol now has a super-buff bod the filmmakers and studio have been flagrantly showing off in trailers and ads.
5. Ashton Kutcher in "Killers." If you're one of the many who fantasize about being a great-looking blond with a really handsome guy who turns out to be -- surprise -- a super spy who gets you all caught up in his high octane, dangerous adventures and gives pwetty widdle you a gun to protect yourself from the bad guys, this is your summer! There are certain beats that are bound to feel like déjà vu between the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz "Knight & Day" and the Katherine Heigl-Ashton Kutcher "Killers," in which the man of Heigl's dreams (and 32-year-old Ashton is looking pretty dreamy in this movie) turns out to work for blah-blah-blah and have a license to blah, as he puts it. This one is the romantic comedy with action.
6. Tom Cruise in "Knight & Day." This is the action-thriller with comedy and romance. Cruise may be the best super spy ever, or the most insane super spy, as he takes over and turns upside down Cameron Diaz's life. He's still got the dazzling smile. Time will tell if, at 47, Cruise is still a top gun among movie stars in this picture that cost just under $100 million to make.
7. and 8. Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner in "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse." You knew they'd be here. Of course. Will Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) choose her sparkly immortal love, vampire Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson, 23), or her muscular manimal friend, werewolf Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner, 18)? We'll have to wait to find out, because they're kind of busy right now with this army of vampires coming -- not to mention merchandise from hoodies and jewelry to mints (icy if you want Edward, hot if you're into Jacob).
9. Alex Pettyfer in "Beastly." In this modern-day take on the classic "Beauty and the Beast" tale, 20-year-old Alex Pettyfer is the rich, spoiled, cruel and incredibly handsome Manhattanite who gets turned into an unsightly being by witch Mary Kate Olsen. Can Vanessa Hudgens unlock the spell?
10. Rick Malambri in "Step Up 3D." The 6'2" 27-year-old Abercrombie model from Ft. Walton Beach, FL, seen in Bruce Willis' "Surrogates," turns into the leader of a tight-knit pack of street dancers in "Step Up 3D." Looking good.