By Emily Feimster
Move over Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan! There are new teen idols in town! In a time when young Hollywood seems to be running amuck, these guys are keeping it together and building a huge fan following in the process. Be it on screen or on a music stage, people can't seem to get enough of these cool kids. And we want to sit at their lunch table! So who are the teens turning to? It's hard to narrow the field down, but here are 10 of the hottest. Sit back, grab a carton of milk, and find out who!
1. Zac Efron - Once the cute kid who starred on "Summerland" and "High School Musical," Zac Efron has quickly turned into quite the leading man with a starring role in the newly adapted "Hairspray." However, despite his soaring popularity, he has stayed true to his roots as he is reprising his role as Troy Bolton in the second and third installments of the popular Disney musical franchise. Oh, how many more hearts are soon to break!
2. Hayden Panettiere - Hayden has been in front of the cameras since she was 11-months-old starring in such flicks as "Remember the Titans," "Ice Princess," and "Joe Somebody." Now the soon-to-be 21-year-old is turning heads as the cheerleader, who has the cool power of healing herself, on the uber popular "Heroes." She can next be seen on the big screen alongside Julia Roberts in the movie "Fireflies in the Garden."
Inside Scoop: She's working on a debut album, which was originally supposed to be released in May of this year, but has been pushed back to 2008. She has showcased her voice in several TV appearances but the jury's still out on whether she has the singing goods.
3. Miley Cyrus - Don't break my heart, my achy breaky heart. Oh, wait, wrong Cyrus. Well, she is the daughter of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, so we're not that far off! In fact, Miley has brought new life to her father's career with her very popular Disney series "Hannah Montana" in which she and her dad co-star. The young star is certainly making a big name for herself as her show is in talks to be made into a movie. She'll also be taking her singing talents on tour in October.
Inside Scoop: She was born with the name Destiny Hope because her parents believed she would accomplish great things, but she's known as "Miley" because ever since she was little, her dad called her "Smiley".
4. Corbin Bleu - How cute is this guy? With that head of hair and those dimples it's hard not to be drawn to Corbin when watching him perform on "High School Musical." Or on his other franchise, Discovery Kids Channel's "Flight 29 Down" series. Or on his own Disney Channel Original movie, "Jump In." This summer the popular teen idol branched out touring in support of his debut solo album "Another Side."
Quotable Quote: "You name a show business faux pas and it has happened to me - from pants with the zipper down on the red carpet to having hair that looked like I put my finger in a light socket. It's kinda like that naturally so when it gets freaky looking, it gets really freaky!"
5. Drake Bell - Finally, a Nickelodeon star! Whew! We didn't want to leave out that other popular teen network. Having been acting since he was five, the very talented Drake has become a staple in every teen magazine known to man. Known for the fun show "Drake & Josh" with his best friend Josh Peck, he has the upcoming big-screen Lions Gate comedy, "College," coming up - which he says is definitely "not for the Nickelodeon audience," but for their older brothers and sisters who are graduating high school and getting into college." That's 'cause it gets raunchy. In his spare time, Bell works on making music. He's been touring this summer with Corbin Bleu and Aly & A.J..
Inside Scoop: In December of 2005, Drake was involved in a serious car accident where his face smashed into the steering wheel, resulting in a broken jaw, a fractured neck, six dislodged teeth, and a deep cut across his chin, leaving a two-and-a-half inch scar. He had his jaw wired shut for three months and subsisted on a liquid diet.
6. Vanessa Hudgens - Is she most famous for "High School Musical" or for dating co-star Zac Efron? Hmm, it's hard to say, but all we know is that people like her…they really, really like her! The actress/singer has even become one of the new faces of Neutrogena. Now, that's the sign of a star!
7. Emma Roberts - It's clear that talent runs in her family with a last name like Roberts, but, no, we're not referring to her father being Eric Roberts. We're talking about her aunt Julia. And like her famous aunt, Emma has quickly won over young audiences with that infectious smile. She was most recently seen on the big screen as Nancy Drew, but most know her from the popular Nickelodeon series "Unfabulous." However, unlike the show's title, Emma is anything but.
8. Jamie Lynn Spears - Oh, how we hope the apple does fall far, far, far from the tree! While her big sister Britney may be having a public meltdown, Jamie Lynn has been blossoming into a talented, young actor on her show "Zoey 101." Let's just hope it stays that way!
Quotable Quote: "I would like to be like Britney, but maybe better, but I don't wanna outshine her." Well, at this point the odds definitely seem to be in Jamie Lynn's favor.
9. Aly & AJ - This sister act's main focus is on music - not surprising since the duo, who currently have their "Potential Breakup Song" getting tons of play on tween radio, have been singing and playing guitar since they were three and five. However, their success also includes acting. Alyson Michalka first became known as best buddy of the title star in the Disney Channel series "Phil of the Future," and she and two years younger sib Amanda Joy did a turn as rich kids coping with country living in their "Cow Belles" telepic. Ahead they have MTV's "Super Sweet 16: The Movie."
Inside Scoop: Although they are open about their strong Christian faith and have even been nominated for Christian Artist of the Year, they have said they don't want to be labeled as Christian music artists. "We don't ever wanna preach or shove anything down people's throats, but we want our music to be inspiring."
10. The Jonas Brothers - Three, count 'em, three teen heartthrobs in one family. The Jonas Brothers act consists of Joe, 17, Kevin, 19, and Nick, 14. (Bonus points if you can name their younger brother.) And like any good teen group, they've certainly been all over the teeny bopper circuit with appearances on "Zoey 101," "DisneyMania 4," and "Hannah Montana." Plus, their music continues to reach the top of the Radio Disney music charts. The guys have even landed their own Disney series entitled "J.O.N.A.S!" where they will star as a group of government hired spies. Now that's pretty cool!
Oh, and that younger Jonas is Frankie, age six.
Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith are featured in over 100 print publications and other media outlets with cutting edge celebrity news and insider scoop. Have a burning showbiz question?
Ask those in-the-know, Marilyn and Stacy, and get the real skinny daily in their "Ask BeckSmith
" column on CompuServe and Netscape.