America's Favorite Chocolate Candy Is...
Although we may buy a lot of candy for Valentine's Day, Easter and Halloween, Americans love chocolate year round.
24/7 Wall St. wondered which brands we like the best. By analyzing the units of candy purchased in supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, convenience stores and mass market retailers, 24/7 Wall St. identified the top 10 most popular chocolates.
America's top 10 favorite chocolate brands:
1. Snickers (Mars)
2. M&Ms (Mars)
3. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (Hershey)
4. Hershey Bar (Hershey)
5. Kit Kat (Hershey)
6. Twix (Mars)
7. 3 Musketeers (Mars)
8. Milky Way (Mars)
9. Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme (Hershey)
10. Peter Paul Almond Joy (Hershey)
Fun facts to know and tell:
- Two companies dominate the list: Mars and Hershey. Between them, they produce every brand in the top 10 most popular chocolate candies.
- Eight of the 10 most popular chocolates were introduced more than 50 years ago.
- The newest candy on the most popular list, Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme, is almost 20 years old.
- More than 15 million Snickers bars are produced each day.
- When Hershey first introduced Almond Joy in 1946, it sold for 10 cents a bar. Today, the average price is $1.08.
- First released in 1923, the Milky Way Bar was the first candy bar Mars sold.
- Want something a little healthier? According to Mars, 3 Musketeers has 45 percent less fat than the average fat content of the leading chocolate brands.
- During World War II, Hershey's produced more than 1 billion Hershey's bars as rations for U.S. troops.
- M&Ms were originally sold exclusively to the military. It was also the first candy to be sent into outer space.
--From the Editors at Netscape