Five Year Disaster

I am 28 years old and, until recently, have lived in Miami since I was about 14 years old. I met Pedro while I was a flight attendant at a commercial jet liner. He was a fueler and I met him while he was fueling the airplane that I was to take to Key West that night. We dated for three months and he told me that he was living at his cousin's house after he got divorced and that he had a daughter. One night, he was with me until 12:30am and, while I was in the shower, I heard his cell phone ring. When I got out of the shower, he was gone. The next day, he called me at 6:30am to let me know that he had taken his cell phone to get fixed and not to call him there; he would give me a call later. Of course, I called the cell phone and his wife picked up the phone. We introduced ourselves. So, what do you know, he was still married, living with his wife and she had borrowed his cell phone because hers broke. I immediately stopped seeing him and broke any type of communication between us. Six months later, he came to my job (I had already stopped flying and went to work at a Bank); his friend had told him where I worked. He was very happy to see me and brought his divorce decree with him. He went to my house that night and we dated for 5 years after that. During those 5 years, I have discovered him cheating on me a couple of times. He had moved in about 3 times and he either got kicked out by me or left before I found out that he was cheating, or when he thought I was getting close to finding out. The last straw was that we had broken up on May 2003, which gave me the summer to party with my friends anyway. At the end of summer, he wanted to come back to me and told me that he loved me. He said that it would be best if we were to move to Georgia (where we had visited before to see my family). So, I decided to give it a shot and see if maybe the change of scenery would give our relationship what it needed. We moved to Georgia in October, 2003. We stayed at my Dad's house until we found a house and moved to the house in December, 2003. Everything was great, we were just fine, no problems what so ever. But then, on January 5, 2004, I left for school. When I came home, everything of his was gone. He had moved back to Miami saying, "My father is very ill." I was destroyed and exhausted. One of my best of friends told me to check out the cell phone bill. Sure enough, he had two suspicious telephone calls to Miami on December 31, 2003 at 10:40pm and the same number dialed on January 1, 2004 at 12:40am for two minutes each. So, I called that number; and what do you know, he had a girlfriend all of this time in Miami since May, 2003. I met up with her in Miami, since I had to be there one week later. I gave her all of the evidence that I had (i.e., house papers, utility bills, checking account, checks signed by him and by me) and she is still with him. Well, she will learn! Now, I met someone wonderful and I thank God that Pedro is out of my life for good.

— Cindy, 28

Love Library: Featured Articles