If you could spend a vacation in any country in the world outside the United States and you would not have to worry about the cost, what one country would you choose?
That's the question the Harris Poll asked 2,183 adults. And the answer? Italy!
This lush land filled with history, religion and some of the world's best food and wines has been a top pick in this annual poll for some time, ranking No. 1 or No. 2 for the past eight years.
Top 15 international vacation destinations:
2. Great Britain (England, Scotland and/or Wales)
11. New Zealand
Fun facts to know and tell:
- More than half of Americans (53 percent) would choose a European country for a foreign vacation if cost were not a consideration.
- Two in five (19 percent) would go to a destination in Asia or the Pacific region.
- One in 10 U.S. adults (10 percent) would vacation in a country in the Americas or the Caribbean.
- Much smaller numbers say they would choose to vacation in a Middle Eastern country (2 percent) or Africa (2 percent).
- There is a small percentage of people (3 percent) who wouldn't go anywhere outside the United States, down from a year ago when it was 7 percent.
--From the Editors at Netscape